Are you passionate about making a difference in others' lives? Then come join the Straight and Narrow nursing team!
Headquartered in Paterson, NJ, Straight and Narrow is the largest program of its kind. We provide innovative and compassionate services to individuals struggling with substance use and co-occurring disorders. We are looking for dedicated, caring and compassionate people to work in our Residential/Outpatient Treatment Facilities and Community Programs.
Addictions nursing is the nursing specialty committed to the prevention, intervention, treatment, and management of addictive disorders. Nurses must possess compassion, empathy, understanding and support to patients and their families in a difficult time.
RN – Detox, Night Shift, Full Time, some weekends required, flexible schedule, some holidays required
Job Specific Responsibilities and Functions:
- Under the supervision and direction of the Medical Director, the Registered Nurse is responsible for providing triage services which consist of an evaluation and assessment of medical and psychiatric status and its relationship for the need of withdrawal management.
- The Registered Nurse (RN) is responsible for assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the delivery of care.
- The RN assumes the responsibility and accountability for the delegation of patient care to other members of the health care team.
- Utilize the clinical opioid withdrawal scale (COWS) and/or the clinical institute withdrawal assessment (CIWA) for alcohol to assess patient for signs & symptoms of withdrawal. Identifies and documents observations and assessment of the patient's needs for immediate nursing action and medication intervention.
- Dispense medication as per physician orders and utilizing the nursing process, and maintain accurate records, including seeking clarification of the physician’s orders that are unclear or inappropriate.
- Follow the physician’s written orders and assist with clients’ physical examinations, medical care and/or procedures, and client intakes as needed
- Prepare and maintain adequate medical and other records
- Maintain daily syringe count
- Checks to ensure that emergency equipment is on hand and maintain inventory documentation
- Conduct nursing education and wellness groups to clients as needed
- Responsible for completing and reviewing Beginning and End of Shift Controlled Substance Count with oncoming and outgoing staff and ensures staff compliance with department policy & procedures
- Increase knowledge of treatment and client issues by attending and participating in staff development in-service sessions
- Utilize critical thinking skills, prioritize care and apply clinical guidelines and best practices
- Maintain nursing license current as well as American Heart CPR/First Aid certification
- Assess and monitor patients undergoing medication assisted detoxification in accordance with policy and procedure, evidenced based treatment and physician orders.
- Document and gives/receives report at the beginning and end of shift when indicated
- Participate in quality improvement projects
- Communicates relevant patient care information with treatment team in a timely fashion
- Initiates appropriate referrals to other departments, services and/or outside agencies for patient care.
- Competitive rates
- Flexible schedules with work life balance encouraged
- Self-paced orientation
- Generous PTO, in house education seminars, two paid training days per year for nursing education and career development and advancement
- Assistance in obtaining CARN certification (Certified Addiction Registered Nurse)
- Acuity staffing based on client needs and unit acuity
- Accidental and Critical Illness Insurance, 403B with employer match
Experienced in the addiction field, mental health or corrections is desired, but will extend orientation and training to the right candidate with an enthusiastic desire to learn
Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing scenarios and situations on the fly
Being a team player that works fluidly with patients, families and interdisciplinary healthcare teams every step of the way
Must possess a caring and compassionate attitude with those whom may be struggling with recovery
RN must have current and valid registration as a professional nurse in the State of New Jersey and must possess knowledge of the principles, procedures and methods of professional nursing practices