Time Limited Waiver Extension (WE) Opportunity to renew your expired CPS.
- Six Month Window from May 6th – November 6th, 2023
- Late Fees will be waived – pay only current recert cost
- Requires 40 hours of recert credit over past 15 years in CPS related Domains
- Recert period : two years
- Status: “NJ Only” CPS for first two years. IC&RC reciprocal status to be determined.
- Online applications only. You first need to create a Certemy account. The next step will be to choose the WE-CPS renewal
- contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any problems. Please note that all steps need to contain information, i.e. experience and education. If you do not have that information, please add your CPS approval number and date of last renewal. We can then verify the information for that step from our records. Do not leave any “Step” blank
- For Certemy application to renew: click here
The Addiction Professionals Certification Board of New Jersey’s primary function is the education, certification and testing of addiction, prevention and peer specific mental health professionals in the State of New Jersey as well as internationally in partnership with the IC&RC. Learn more about the Certification Board.
The Certification Board, Inc. (APCB, Inc.) provides the Transcript Review and the Written and Oral Exams for the LCADC and CADC. All other applications and re-certifications are handled via Certemy. Please see our applications page for more details.
Due to the COVID 19 Pandemic our office is currently is restricted to only Scheduled Test Applicants and Scheduled appointments only and not accepting any Walk Ins.
All initial and recertification applications are available on our Certemy website click here
Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LCADC ) and Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor(CADC) applicants must fill out and submit an online application. See details.
Prior to renewing an LCADC or CADC one must complete the mandatory three-hour of legal standards course. See details.
Persons holding a Master’s degree who, after having their course content evaluated, need additional hours to satisfy the 270 hours requirement, must complete all the remaining hours through a synchronous/interactive training experience, that is the courses must be taken either LIVE in-person or LIVE virtually (ie: ZOOM platform). Asynchronous (online) coursework for any of the remaining/required courses that were not waived by the course content review is not acceptable as of April 23, 2021 determined the DCA-ADCC Committee.
- Recertification: The CPRS, as well as all of the APCB, Inc. (Certification Board, Inc.) credentials,( CCS, CPS, ICADC, CDA, CRSP, CCJP, CJC, etc) allow all renewal hours in pre-approved distance learning courses, which can be found at this link: www.certbd.org/approved-providers: See Distance Learning Section. Renewal requirements can be found on our Certemy link under applications: https://certbd.org/applications/ for those registered in the system.
- The Certification Board, Inc. will also accept Distance Learning online courses listed within the DCA-ADCC Regulations for LCADC/CADC’s, for all of our recertification credentials as long as they course content fits within the specific Domains for credential: More details on Distance Learning on line courses listed for LCADC/CADC’s
- The LCADC or CADC, which are under the authority of the State of NJ,DCA-ADCC (https://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/regulations/Chapter-34C-Alcohol-and-Drug-Counselors.pdf) has specific renewal requirements. You must contact them for questions about LCADC or CADC renewal requirements.
Enforcement Discretion for Telehealth Remote Communications during the Health Emergency
Office for Civil Rights will exercise its enforcement discretion and will not impose penalties for noncompliance with the regulatory requirements under the HIPAA Rules against covered health care providers in connection with the good faith provision of telehealth during the emergency. See the communication from The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) for details and suggestions on telehealth.
Changes in IC&RC “ADC” Reciprocity
This affects all Reciprocity for NJ LCADC’s that have passed both the Written and Oral Exams as well as all the CADC’s, who had to pass both exams required to obtain NJ CADC and maintain an active license or certification from the New Jersey Department of Consumer Affairs, Alcohol and Drug Counseling Committee. Learn more about new reciprocity procedures.
All of The Addiction Professionals Certification Board of New Jersey’s (The Certification Board’s) income is generated by fees related to certification of Addiction and Peer Specific Mental Health Professionals. In order to keep fees as reasonable as possible, The Certification Board has limited staffing resources to answer individual questions.