The Certification Board is using Certemy, Inc. to process and track the following applications for these credentials:


Please note that once submitted, all application fees are non-refundable

All CCS, CPRS, CPS, CDA and CRSP professionals who were certified by the NJ Certification Board should have an account at Use the email you registered with the Certification Board as your password.

Notify email hidden; JavaScript is required or contact us once all steps turns solid green. This will alert us that you are ready to be reviewed, and will turn green with a check mark, when it has been verified and approved by the Addiction Professionals Certification Board of New Jersey.

Important: All of our Exams, as well as the DCA-ADCC “ADC” exams are not accessed by the Certemy application. Go to to preregister for the exams. You will receive an email from SMT-Prometric within a day or two for you to verify your choice of the day, time and place to take the exam.


Please note: There are 3 different CCS applications. All three applications require completion of the IC&RC-CS Exam as well as a APCBNJ, Inc. pre-approved, synchronous, 30 hour TIP 52 SAMHSA course.

  1. CCS – IC&RC Reciprocal-Must have Reciprocal LCADC. You will need to have completed  four thousand hours (2 years) of supervisory experience and five years of experience in the Addiction field for this option.
  2. CCS- “NJ Only” (No LCADC) must have active NJ License in one of these credentials -LPC, LCSW, LMFT, PhD, Psy D, etc. + 2 years  of supervisory experience and 5 years in the Addiction/Mental Health Field.
  3. CCS- “NJ Only”: (Must have LCADC, (both exams ) but have not met IC&RC requirements (2 years CS experience + 5 years in addiction field.) an ICCS can be achieved  after meeting the 2 years of supervisory experience with 5 years in the field at no additional cost during the two years of  your active credential:



Certified Prevention Specialist (CPS).

    • Recertification: 40 hours in any of the related 6 PS Domains is due every 24 months. Certemy will alert you 60 days and 30 days from the deadline.
Time Limited Waiver Extension (WE) Opportunity to renew your expired CPS.
  • Six Month Window from May 6th – November 6th, 2023
  • Late Fees will be waived – pay only current recert cost
  • Requires 40 hours of recert credit over past 15 years in CPS related Domains
  • Recert period : two years
  • Status: “NJ Only” CPS for first two years. IC&RC reciprocal status to be determined.
  • Online applications only. You first need to create a Certemy account. The next step will be to choose the WE-CPS renewal
  • contact email hidden; JavaScript is required with any problems.  Please note that all steps need to contain information, i.e. experience  and education. If you do not have that information, please add your CPS approval number and date of last renewal. We can then verify the information for that step from our records. Do not leave any “Step” blank.
  • Click here for WE-CPS .


Certified Peer Recovery Specialist  is designed as an entry-level credential. Courses required for the CPRS will not count towards a LCADC or CADC.
Learn more about Certified Peer Recovery Specialist
Apply online at Certemy for CPRS 


  • Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor (AADC) must hold active reciprocal NJ LCADC.  Request application at by contacting us.
  • Chemical Dependence Associate (CDA). Apply online at Certemy for CDA.
  • Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist (CTTS).Request application at
  • Certified Recovery Support Practitioner (CRSP). Apply online at Certemy for CRSP.
  • Associate Prevention Specialist (APS).Request application at by contacting us.
  • Certified Criminal Justice Professional (CCJP)   
  • Criminal Justice Counselor (CJC) Request application at by contacting us.
  • International Certified Advanced Alcohol Drug Counselor Application (ICAADC)  *IC&RC reciprocal (must live or work in New Jersey and hold an active New Jersey LCADC). You must first hold an active NJ LCADC at the  graduate level. This credential, like the ICADC, is only valid when your NJ LCADC is active. Requires passing the Advanced ICAADC Exam.
    Request application at by contacting us.
  • International Certified Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ICADC)  *IC&RC reciprocal (must live or work in New Jersey and hold an active New Jersey CADC). The ICADC is based on your current LCADC/CADC in New Jersey. To qualify for the ICADC, you must have renewed your LCADC or CADC (currently  through July 2024) and have passed the IC&RC written and oral examinations if you were licensed or certified by the DCA-M&F Board after 2005. If your New Jersey license expires, or is terminated for any reason, your ICADC will become invalid. Request application. Please note that an ICADC does not substitute for  Reciprocity to another IC&RC Board. If your meet reciprocity standards (written and oral exams) contact the Board for an application.

Please follow instructions as completely as possible and contact us if additional clarification is needed.

Recertification must be completed within the Certemy system. Therefore if you have been certified within the last 2 years and cannot find your email/account in Certemy please use this form so that we can help you locate your account as quickly as possible.

Alcohol and Drug Counselors (LCADC/CADC) must contact the DCA – ADCC Committee at The Certification Board only provides transcript review using our transcript review request for LCADC/CADC form (pdf).

You must also complete a separate registration form for those credentials requiring exams. Register in the Testing Section on this website.

Initial Applications for certification need to be reviewed and the Board needs time to perform its due-diligence duty, therefore  cut-off dates for submission of Initial Applications are  of the first day of the month preceding board meetings.

Board Meetings are generally held the third Friday of March, June, September and December. To assure that your application is reviewed, make sure your initial application is received by the Board  no later than  the first of the month preceding  the Board meeting. Late arrivals may  be acted on at the discretion of the board.

  • February 1 or earlier applications will be reviewed at the March Board Meeting
  • May 1 or earlier applications will be reviewed at the June Board Meeting
  • August 1 or earlier applications will be reviewed at the September Board Meeting
  • November 1 or earlier applications will be reviewed at the December Board Meeting.

*All IC&RC reciprocal applicants must either work or live in New Jersey a minimum of 51% of the time.

Please follow instructions as completely as possible and contact us if additional clarification is needed.