The Oral Exam- Case Presentation Method
The Oral Exam is a measure of the counselor’s alcohol and drug counseling experience using Birch and Davis’s Core Functions and the IC&RC’s 46 Global Criteria.
- Choose a real (but anonymous) case that covers all (or most) of your work with a client.
- Write the case following the outline and directions below.
- Have you supervisor sign off that this was case of yours at the agency.
- Pay online and submit your case study, DCA Approval to test letter ( Letter must be dated within the last 365 days) using our secure online system.
- After your case is approved, you will be emailed to reserve a specific date to take the exam.
- You will take the exam at the Board office where you will record your presentation.
- Your recording will be streamed to evaluators who will grade your answers on a “demonstration of competence” using a yes or no to each of the 46 Global Criteria.
- A passing score of 76% is required to pass the exam.
Due to the COVID 19 Pandemic our office is currently Scheduled Test Applicants and Scheduled appointments only and not accepting any Walk Ins in person. All contact must be handled through email at the email addresses below or sent through mail. You may also drop off any application or items in our mailbox outside our office building.
Case Study Directions
Oral Exam Registration
- Candidates must first submit their Written Case Study , CPM Oral Exam Registration Form, DCA Approval to test letter ( Letter must be dated within the last 365 days) and prior to be given a scheduled date for the Oral Exam.
Please send to our offices your:
-Supervisor signed Case Study and
-DCA Approval to test letter
-CPM Verification Form and
-$200 test fee test fee .
-There is no longer a need to send 4 paper copies of your Case Study. Send one signed case study.
- Candidates will respond to each of the following questions, using the 12 Core Functions and 46 Global Criteria and providing examples based on your case presentation. Core Function Questions: Please note these are broad questions to be answered by using examples employing the Global Criteria.
- We advise testing applicants who have had one or more previous failure to take the Oral Prep Class offered by the Certification Board.
Oral Exam Prep Workshop
Oral Exam Prep Workshop Review each of the 46 global criteria within the 12 Core Functions.