Initial Applications for certification need to be reviewed and the Board needs time to perform its due-diligence duty, therefore we have established cut-off dates for submission of Initial Applications of the first day of the month preceding the board meeting.
Board Meetings are generally held the third Friday of March, June, September and December. To assure that your application is reviewed, make sure your initial application is received by the Board no later than the first of the month preceding the Board meeting. Late arrivals may be acted on at the discretion of the board.
- February 1 or earlier applications will be reviewed at the March Board Meeting
- May 1 or earlier applications will be reviewed at the June Board Meeting
- August 1 or earlier applications will be reviewed at the September Board Meeting
- November 1 or earlier applications will be reviewed at the December Board Meeting.
You must also complete a separate registration form for those credentials requiring exams. Register in the Testing Section on this website.
*All IC&RC reciprocal applicants must either work or live in New Jersey a minimum of 51% of the time.
- Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor (AADC) must hold active reciprocal NJ LCADC. Pay and apply online option.
- Certified Clinical Supervisor (CCS) Requires exam *IC&RC reciprocal (must live or work in NJ)
- Chemical Dependence Counselor (CDA) Pay and apply online option.
- Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist (CTTS) . must hold active reciprocal NJ LCADC Pay and apply online option.
- Certified Recovery Support Practitioner (CRSP)
- Associate Prevention Specialist (APS)
- Certified Prevention Specialist (CPS_ Requires exam *IC&RC reciprocal (must live or work in NJ)
- Certified Peer Recovery Specialist (CPRS) *IC&RC reciprocal (must live or work in New Jersey; exam required for reciprocity).This credential is available to Peers seeking to learn Peer Support skills in order to foster the recovery of others affected by addiction and co-occurring problems.
Please note that this is not a counseling certification, but rather a Peer Recovery credential that allows the holder to perform the following domains:
- Ethical Responsibility
- Mentoring and Education
- Recovery/Wellness planning, within a supervised professional agency.
The CPRS is not a private practice credential, as they are only licensed by the NJ State Division of Law and Public Safety, Division of Consumer Affairs.
- Community Mental Health Associate (CMHA)
- Women’s Treatment Specialist (WTS)
- Certified Criminal Justice Professional (CCJP) Requires exam *IC&RC reciprocal (must live or work in NJ)
- Criminal Justice Counselor (CJC)
- International Certified Advanced Alcohol Drug Counselor Application (ICAADC) *IC&RC reciprocal (must live or work in New Jersey and hold an active New Jersey LCADC)
- International Certified Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor(ICADC) *IC&RC reciprocal (must live or work in New Jersey and hold an active New Jersey CADC)
The Board cannot respond to inquiries regarding receipt of documents. Send all critical documentation to the Certification Board “Return Receipt” (the green post card from the Post Office or via FedEx, UPS or other common carrier with delivery verification).
Please follow instructions as completely as possible and contact us if additional clarification is needed.
Alcohol and Drug Counselors (LCADC/CADC) must contact the DCA – ADCC Committee at http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/medical/alcdrug.htm. The Certification Board only provides transcript review using our transcript review request for LCADC/CADC form (pdf).
International Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor Reciprocal Credential
The ICADC is based on your current LCADC/CADC in New Jersey. To qualify for the ICADC, you must have renewed your LCADC or CADC (currently through July 2018) and have passed the IC&RC written and oral examinations if you were licensed or certified by the DCA-M&F Board after 2005. If your New Jersey license expires, or is terminated for any reason, your ICADC will become invalid.
To apply for the ICADC please fill out the International Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor Reciprocal Credential Application (PDF) and send with your payment to the Certification Board of NJ.You must maintain an active CADC to maintain this credential. Requires both written & oral exams.
International Certified Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor: You must first hold an active NJ LCADC at the graduate level. This credential, like the ICADC, is only valid when your NJ LCADC is active. Requires passing the Advanced ICAADC Exam